Cosmetic dentistry allows you to repair and renew your smile, boosting your confidence and increasing your self-esteem to ensure that you feel as great as your new smile looks. Understanding some of the most common cosmetic dentistry procedures can help you determine which procedures can most benefit your teeth. Find out more about cosmetic dentistry and its procedures with Dr. Joel Johnson in Columbia, SC.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on treating the aesthetic aspects of your smile to improve the appearance of your smile. Unlike other facets of dentistry, cosmetic dentists specialize in treatments which make your smile beautiful while, in some cases, even improving its functionality.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
- Dental Crowns and Bridges: Crowns stabilize a damaged tooth, protecting it from future harm. A bridge replaces a missing tooth to fill in a gap in your smile. These restorations are made from porcelain and last for many years.
- Dental Implants: Like a bridge, a dental implant replaces a missing tooth. However, a bridge uses the healthy teeth surrounding a gap to hold it in place. A dental implant lies directly in the jawbone beneath the missing tooth, standing alone and replacing your tooth without compromising the healthy teeth around it.
- Porcelain Veneers: Veneers fit onto the surface of a tooth to mask its imperfections, repair its flaws, and overhaul your smile. Veneers often treat issues like chipped or cracked teeth, discolored, stained, or yellowed teeth which do not respond to whitening treatments, slight overcrowding or under crowding, or even misalignment issues.
- Dentures: Dentures replace all or most of the teeth in your mouth. Full dentures can replace every tooth on an arch. Partial dentures allow any remaining healthy teeth to fit through the denture, using them as anchors and helping them stay healthy. Implant-supported dentures are held in place by dental implants, which are anchored permanently into the mouth.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a fast, effective procedure which can dramatically change the appearance of your smile in just a single dental visit. Talk with your dentist about the strength of your whitening procedure to ensure that your results are what you expected.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry, please contact Dr. Johnson at his practice in Columbia, SC. Call (803) 788-2555 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Johnson today!